Special Needs Programs
New Providence Recreation is part of TryCAN, a collaboration of communities formed to provide a comprehensive selection of recreational opportunities for kids with special needs with no residency restrictions or non-resident fees. Kids from all communities are welcome! TryCAN:
- Offers recreation and social development programs for kids with special needs;
- Provides training and community service opportunities for those wishing to work with kids with special needs;
- Allows and encourages involvement of parents, professionals, and volunteers;
- Provides networking and educational opportunities and events; and
- Raises funds and leverages volunteer and community resources to achieve its goals.
Special Needs program flyers for TryCAN communities include details about what’s offered and how to register. View Summit’s programs are available on the TryCAN website.
Art classes for adults with special needs are also hosted by Recreation, typically in the winter. Information will be posted on this page when it’s available.
Central to TryCAN’s model are peer mentors who serve as assistant coaches, buddies and cheerleaders for program participants. Those interested in mentoring attend a two-hour training course which helps prepare them for this important and rewarding volunteer opportunity. Training is open to those ages 12 and over. View more information about mentoring on the TryCAN website. Mentoring course flyers will be available as classes are planned and are posted with the program flyers.